Sunday, November 05, 2006

Boy or a girl

Our conversation ended when my wife said … ‘you should have sisters to know and understand. Hope you son also has a sister and he won’t be like you.’

I have always lost arguments when somebody brings that up. It makes me feel that I have sinned, at the same time I do not understand what is the big thing about having a sister? Are people with no sisters heartless and people with sisters ‘gentlemen’? I had grown up in a family where most of us were boys/men and as such did not understand what it is to have a sister. The little I knew about girls was when my cousin sisters came over during summer vacations. Did not miss having sisters when with them but when they left… I always wanted them to stay back. There were times I hated them when it took hours for them to get ready but there was also moments where I would sit besides them watching the way they would knot/oil their hair or put the nail polish.

Anyways, I had few friends who had sisters… and these guys did not have two horns on their head. But I had noticed that they would not invite any guys to their homes especially if those guys did not have any sisters. Their friendship would end at the corner of the street. Regarding guys who had sisters, I have noticed the following things (exceptions exist):

1) All liked their sisters only after they got married and went away. Until then, they cursed them and hated them.

2) These guys would return home even before sunset.

3) Would not bunk classes and go for movies

4) Would not watch ‘rated’ movies

5) Were mean as not to invite good people (like me) to their homes. (The closest I have gotten to is to the door. Never gone inside)

6) Would not wait in bus-stops or tea-shops after school/college to sit and chatter.

7) Would not give away phone numbers

The list is long…..

Regarding guys who did not have sister:

1) Would never go home until the moon was above their head

2) Would not feel guilty bunking classes for movies

3) Had ‘time-pass’ girl friends

4) Would watch all sort of movies and talk about them too

5) Sit at bus-stops and theater, watching and commenting girls

6) Invite all friends home.

7) Would freely give phone numbers and not mind blank phone calls or such nuisance.

Coming back to the actual topic in mind, my wife is in the 4th month of pregnancy and it already seems like a very long month. Our first one was a boy and we are yet to know the sex of the new baby and that could be another reason for the 4th month being so long. I want the second one to be a boy too after all he will have a company and can play similar games, discuss and talk similar topics …but she wants a girl. We have our own reasons; in fact, I have more reasons on why I want a boy, she too has many reasons… and her last reason is – ‘you won’t understand since you don’t have sisters’. Few of her other reasons were, girls are more attached to their parents and will take care of them when old, and girls like their father more, so I should be happy to have a girl etc. I asked if Lord Rama had sisters and see how much he loved his father and mother that he did not think twice to obey their wishes. Even the Pandavas did not have sisters. They too obeyed their mother. That’s how boys are!!!! On the other hand, Ravana had a sister, look what he did. If there is a girl in the house, there will never be peace. For this, she asked me not to tell stories. Then, I took examples from Mahatma Gandhi to Sachin Tendulkar.

Anyways, we won’t know the sex of the baby for sometime to come… until then we will keep arguing amongst us which is better. I would like to have a girl baby as long as she is kind like my mother and beautiful like my wife, else I need a boy.

No comments: